Click to Listen:
Google Play: adultstruggles.com/googleplay
iHeart Radio: adultstruggles.com/iheart
Cristina is a Chicago-based freelance artist with an expansive portfolio of work, including hand-lettering, graphic design, creative advertising, art direction, and more! Over the years, she has had the opportunity to work with big name clients, such as Mad Magazine, Babybel, Southwest Airlines, Google, and Huffington Post. She is also the author and creator of 2 books, Hand-lettering for Everyone and Adult-ish, both of which showcase her artistic talent.
In this episode, we discuss Cristina’s background in art, from regularly attending Comic-Con events growing up, to landing her first design internship at Mad Magazine, to freelancing and creating art for her side project 100 Days of Adulting.
- Tips for landing big internships in a competitive career market like graphic design
- Why Cristina spent a week sending all of her text messages in handwritten calligraphy
- The origin story of 100 Days of Adulting (daily art inspired by the 100 Day Project by Elle Luna)
- Major success before 30: how Cristina authored 2 books, completed 4 design internships, earned features in The Atlantic, Mashable, Bustle, and New York Magazine gift guide (just to name a few)
- How to celebrate the small wins of adulting through creative journaling
As mentioned in this episode, Cristina is the author of 2 art-focused books. Check ’em out!
- Hand-lettering for Everyone: A creative workbook : This workbook teaches you the history of hand-lettering, and features various exercises to help you get started!
- Adult-ish : This creative journal offers fun writing and doodling prompts that allow you to reflect and reminisce on some of your favorite (and not so favorite) adulting memories. Completely hand-lettered and drawn by Cristina, this book invites you to color, doodle, and journal your way through the pages!